This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 3

Anybody using Limit One Entry per IP feature?

1. Giorgio

Hi everybody

I've made a test and it seems to me that if more clients use the same WI-FI connection to submit a form, all this submissions will have the same IP address. This means that the Limit One Entry per IP feature can't be used in this case. Do you have any experience with that? I have already written to Yuniar to ask his opinion but in the meantime I wanted to ask also the community... thx

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. erzon

if client using wifi.. it should deploy different IP address... I used limit IP per entry to avoid duplicate entry.. I don't have any problem

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. Steve1951

Giorgio - you are correct. Everyone who is using WI-FI from the same router will have the same IP Address. The same is true in a corporate environment behind a firewall if they are using NAT (almost all corporations do). Everyone behind the corporate firewall will have the same IP address (as viewed from the public Internet). Obviously everyone internally will have different IP addresses.

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. Giorgio

Thank you Steve. Isn't there another unique identifier that could be used instead of $_Server['remote_address'], that would work also in case of wifi, firewall or proxyserver? Maybe a better solution would be to use cookies to check if someone has already submitted a form? What do you think?

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. Giorgio

Searching the net I found that using $_SERVER["HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR"] instead of $_SERVER["HTTP_ADDR"] will deliver the real IP address of the user if he is behind a proxy. But will it work also if users are connecting through the same router (e.g. WIFI)???

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. Steve1951

Searching the net I found that using $_SERVER["HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR"] instead of $_SERVER["HTTP_ADDR"] will deliver the real IP address of the user if he is behind a proxy. But will it work also if users are connecting through the same router (e.g. WIFI)???

It should not work if the client is behind a router or a firewall. See the link below if you want to test it.

http://www.schuckman.us/test/test_get_ip.php

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic