This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 4

Auto complete, Auto suggest

1. manzoorahmed

Hi,

I have two queries:

1. Can we make a text box an auto complete/auto suggest field?

if yes,

2. Can we force the user to only select from the suggested options?

Cheers

Manzoor

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. williamansley

@manzoorahmed: If I understand what you are asking for properly, this is not an existing feature in Machform. Why not use a plain old drop down menu or radio button (multiple choice) field?

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. manzoorahmed

Hi,

These two fields could be used for a very small set of options. I have a set of 2000 different options and using a drop down or radio buttons won't be practical.

This is what i really need http://phpautocomplete.com but I don't know how to integrate it with machform.

Cheers,

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. williamansley

@manzoorahmed: Before I start I want to make it clear that I am not an Appnitro employee, just another Machform user. I suspected that you were trying to implement a choice from a very long list of possibilities. As far as I can see, to get the features you want will require a lot of custom coding that I can't help you with. The only alternative suggestion I can offer, and it may well not be satisfactory to you, is to break you long list into batches, by logical categories, if possible, then have a "nested" series of either multiple choice or drop down menu items, using logic to reveal the appropriate "next step menu".

For example, say you wanted to have the user choose a number from 1 to 1,000,000 with drop down menus. The first menu would have the choices: "Is the number from 0 to 99,999?", "Is the number from 100,000 to 199,999?", etc. If they choose the second you use logic to reveal a second drop down menu with choices: "Is the number from 100,000 to 109,999?", "Is the number from 110,000 to 119,999?", Is the number from 120,000 to 129,999?", etc. If they make the third choice, use more logic to reveal a menu with choices, "If the number from 120,000 to 120,999?", "Is the number from 121,000 to 121,999?", etc. And so on.

Looking back at this, even I don't like it, but it's all I can think of and I offer it for what it's worth, which is very little. I hope you can find a way to integrate the features you need into Machform.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic