This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 3

autosave form entries and e-mail resume link

1. adrianic

This is probably more of a feature request, but is it possible for the form to auto-save and automatically e-mail a resume link in case something goes wrong? The way I would envision it to work, is for the user to be asked for their e-mail as the first item. Then as they fill the form, every field they interact with gets auto-saved. If for whatever reason the server times out, or the the user accidentally closes the window, a resume link will be e-mailed to them.

The reason I ask for this feature is because I have tested my form for the problem I had in another post. I still cannot pin-point when or why once in a while (let's say 1 in 10 times) we get a lost connection. It would be great if we had a general form option for the progress to be saved automatically, and if connection is lost, e-mail a resume link to continue,

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. yuniar

Thank you for your feedback on this.

I don't think we'll be able to do this in the future though.
    This autosave would mean the user will receive the "resume email" periodically during the session, because there is no way to detect a lost connection from the server side.

MachForm Founder

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. adrianic

I've been thinking about this quite a bit because we are still having random time-outs on our form, and I can't figure out why.

How about this for an auto-save feature: every time they type in a new field, it auto-saves. The form gives an automatic time-out if it detects no activity on the form for 5 minutes (no typing) and if they entered their e-mail address, which is the first field on my form (like "This form has had no activity for the past 5 minutes. It has been auto-saved, and a link to resume has been e-mailed to you.") They only get 1 e-mail, not periodically.

Would this be something easily done or something very complicated? It might be more complicated than I imagine it to be, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. yuniar

I'm afraid this won't be quite simple to implement as well. You will need to do pretty much custom coding for this. Sorry.

MachForm Founder

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. hughhubbers

Can you do some custom coding for me?

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. eunuchi

I'm having this same issue. Was there ever a resolution for you? I have tested my form out and I can't tell you how many times the connection was lost or some sort of issue where I had to start all over and all information entered was lost. An autosave feature would definitely be a great feature! Almost a necessity!

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic