This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 2

Could not instantiate mail functoin

1. bsheitman

I get this message:

Error sending email: Could not instantiate mail function.Error sending email: Could not instantiate mail function.
    Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home7/netmanag/public_html/machform/includes/helper-functions.php:482) in /home7/netmanag/public_html/machform/embed.php on line 42

Whenever I fill out a form and submit it. I used the mail test detailed in similar posts on this forum and it worked.

<?php
    if (mail('ben@netmanageit.com', 'email test','test email'))
    {
    echo 'mail send!';
    }
    ?>

Not really sure at this point. Everything looks right in my config.php and in the "send notification email" section of helper-functions.php...also, the forms worked at one point.

Can any settings in php.ini affect this?

Posted 14 years ago #
  2. bsheitman

Resolved: Just to update the status on this and provide some background info for future users. I'm using machform v.2 hosted on bluehost. When I first installed it it produced an identical error and Bluehost suggested that I must first create an email address for Machform to send from, in this case "no-reply@netmanageit.net". Strangely, it worked, until the error cropped again about a year later.

I went in and deleted no-reply@netmanageit.net address just for grins (didn't know what else to do) and the problem was immediately resolved. I suspect some changes on their hosting backend removed the need for the dummy email address.

Posted 14 years ago #
  3. grandeland

I am using a SmartHost over SMTP and I was getting the same error message and overlooked this setting in the config.php file:

/** SMTP settings **/
    /** Don't modify it unless you know you are using SMTP **/
    define('USE_SMTP',true); //set this to 'true' to use SMTP

It was set to false by default. Of course make sure your php.ini file has the same server listed in the SMTP field and it should work.

Posted 13 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic