This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 3

Editing existing form entries

1. s0uthpaw

A number of people on this forum have requested a feature where users can edit a previously submitted form. Do you plan to provide this function in a future update?

One relatively easy way to do it may be to make the "resume" code static, so that it remains the same at all times. If the "Submit" function also generated a resume code, that could be used as a way to allow users edit their submissions.

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. AMurray
    Pro Member

Allowing people to edit their own records (after they are submitted) would require multi-user functinality, which I believe is coming in future edition.

The save and resume feature currently in V3 is only when the form has not actually been formally submitted, and just allows the user to finish the submission - but after submitted they can't go back, retrieve the form detail and change it. The save/resume link expires once it is used, so it's not a permanent URL.

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. s0uthpaw

Yes. Exactly.

My suggestion is that making the resume link permanent may be a relatively easy way to add user editing of submitted forms. I am sure many of us would be happy to code our own front end for our sites.

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. tmparisi

Hey s0uthpaw, you could also accomplish this by building a custom form that accesses the database via a unique ID. From there you could make adjustments to the entry. I built a restaurant reservation cancellation form that allows the user to pull up there reservation based on a unique ID and then cancel it. I simply write changes back to the database. If you have any questions let me know, I might be able to point you in a direction or provide you with some of my forms as an example.

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. rscott7706

tmparisi, I have a web site that the owners want to be able to edit and add information to their clients forms after they submit them. You offered help to s0uthpaw, I am hoping you might consider the same for me.

Your name though does not contain an email link, so I can't contact you directly.

Ron

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. csamuel69

Hey Ron I have the same request. By chance did you get a reply or information from tmparisi?
    DCS

Posted 11 years ago #
  7. AMurray
    Pro Member

Version 3.3 allows additional "Admin" users, so you can assign users to your forms (how many, depends on the licence purchased) - see here if it is what you are asking for: http://www.appnitro.com/forums/topic/v33-preview-multi-user-is-coming?replies=18 or http://www.appnitro.com/forums/topic/9-july-2012-machform-33-released?replies=13.

It might not be precisely what you're after.

Posted 11 years ago #
  8. csamuel69

Thanks for the info and not precisely as I don't want to manually add hundreds of users.
    Basically I would like to see:

1. Hundreds of users fill out a out form.
    2. When complete they receive the email with form data "AND" a link back to the form to edit their information. (VERY similar to the "Save my progress and resume later" email link.
    3. When they click the link it goes back to the form so they can change information they entered if needed.

Thanks again all and keep up the good work!

Posted 11 years ago #
  9. JamesHeathcote

I agree with the above request, this would be ideal for us, we are desperate to allow staff access to their records once they have submitted them, we however, think it would be better to have them request access, and for us to click a button which mails them the url.

Posted 11 years ago #
  10. yuniar

At this moment, you will need to add a user to allow them accessing entries. We don't have any plan to allow any people who submitted the form to edit their own entry once the submission has been completed, but we'll keep an eye on this.

Thank you for the feedback.

MachForm Founder

Posted 11 years ago #
  11. JamesHeathcote

That's a real shame as to make this work at the moment is pretty simple.

I go into the database, find the corresponding record in the form table, make up a random code in the temp code and paste the code into a generic email amending the last part of the email to march the code.

Posted 11 years ago #
  12. csamuel69

I agree and thanks James,

I am on v3.3 and in the database do you mean the "resume_key" column to put the made up random code to paste to the URL? I do not see a temp code value.

yuniar would this be difficult to place a random code in the field once they click submit AND include the URL in the response email to the user to edit their response? Maybe an 'edit_key' field that gets generated after they submit to come back and change their form later.

I think it would be pretty useful for a user to edit a submitted form from a link in the response email (like the "save my progress and resume later" link).

I can’t make up a temp code for hundreds of users to edit their response…but I would like to hear about JamesHeathcote workaround.

csamuel69

Posted 11 years ago #
  13. azimd

Looks like many people have requested this feature.

Posted 11 years ago #
  14. dirkonderneemt

Version 4, still no "edit submitted form" option?
    A real shame, it would make Machform so powerful!

Posted 10 years ago #
  15. christopherbrooks

A form as a persistent collection of information for a particular user / customer, which might be edited and revised over time, is rather different than a form as a point in time transaction which can be associated with a fee due for the transaction and the means to track payment status of that fee and transaction.

The former certainly has value, but for completeness would need such features as
    1) ability to allow / disallow editing based on logic
    2) an audit trail of changes and before / after with user & date-timestamp
    3) decouple from payment oriented transactions (eg, user profile which can be edited; user transaction which cannot)
    4) security, authorization, validation of the user before allowing changes

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic