This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 4

Feature request: Improved user management, user groups and form groups

1. williamansley

We have hundreds of forms and dozens of users. The inadequate user management features of Machform are becoming more and more of a problem. I just had to assign entry editing rights to over 30 forms created by person A to person B and it was not fun. Machform badly needs user groups. and form groups. Forms would not be assigned directly to users, instead, forms would be placed in form groups and users in user groups. Then user groups would be associated with form groups.

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. WayneFusco

Awesome idea..

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. williamansley

@WayneFusco: I'm glad you like the idea; I have to say that it's not original to me. To elaborate at bit, my institution is a two-year college in New York Sate in the US. Some financial aid forms (FA) and scholarship (SCHOL) forms have been converted into Machform forms. Some users need to see only FA forms, some need to see only SCHOL forms, some need to see both. If my idea were reality, then I would create FA and SCHOL user groups and form groups. All the FA forms would be placed in the FA form group, all SCHOL forms into the SCHOL forms group. The FA users group would be linked to the FA forms group and the SCHOL users group to the SCHOL forms group. Then, if I had a new user X who needed to see all of the FA froms, I just put X in the FA users group. If user Y needs to see the SCHOL forms, Y is put into the SCHOL users group. And if user Z needs to see forms from both groups, then Z is placed into both the FA and SCHOL user groups. If there are 50 FA forms and 10 SCHOL forms, you can see this would save a huge amount of time over individually assigning all of these forms to the three users.

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. christiansweatt

I would definitely support this feature request as well. As the Machform features continue to get better with each release, my 4-year institution is using Machforms more than ever. As a result, this can become quite a nightmare on the backend, and we're definitely seeing a greater need for more efficient user and forms management. Perhaps a nice release for the 5.0 version?

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. williamansley

Another aspect of my suggested way to implement better user management is that users should be able to place forms in form groups themselves as they create them, with the option to keep the form private, as well (that is, only the form creator can see it). One way to do this would be to allow users in user group A, which is linked to form group X, to have the ability to place any forms they create into form groups X, either at the time of creation or later on. Right now, I have to manually assign rights to each new form created by a user to every other user who needs access to it.

Perhaps my request is too ambitious; I would certainly welcome any improvement to user management. I do think this should be a priority for the next major release.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic