This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 4

How to reset entry-number

1. johannesspringer

Hello,
    we have deleted all our 55 entries from our form and wanna reuse this form with little modifications. Now new users get a entry-number above the last deleted ones (56), but we wanna have it to start back from "1". How can we reset this number?

thanks,

Johannes

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. williamansley

@johannesspringer: I run into this issue a lot. The simplest way to handle it is to duplicate the form and use the new form. This means that you have to change any links to the form on your web site to use the URL for the new form, which may be inconvenient, but the only other way to handle this is to access the database for the form directly and clean it out manually, which is more inconvenient for most people.

The reason this happens is because Machform doesn't actually remove the entries when you delete them, it marks them so the web interface doesn't display them, but they are actually there and can be recovered if necessary. So there is another option - there is a change you can make to the Machform configuration file that will make Machform actually fully remove any entries that you delete using the web interface from the database. This won't help you with existing forms however, and you will lose the "insurance policy" of having the ability to recover mistakenly "deleted" entries. If you are interested in changing this setting, see the message below, but be aware that it may be different in Machform 4.

http://www.appnitro.com/forums/topic/why-does-machform-not-clean-up-after-itself?replies=3#post-17029

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. AMurray
    Pro Member

The record number needs to be unique so unless you permanently delete them, the number will continue from the last number e.g. 56 onwards despite you "deleting" records 1 to 55.

Since the "deleted" entries are still in the DB and just marked as "hidden" in the Form Manager, the Record number for those entries must be unique (it is a primary key in the DB) and so you can't have duplicate records with the same record numbers 1 to 55 and so on.

That goes for Entries within a form too; they have their own unique identifier, and if they are "deleted", new entries pick up where the last one stopped.

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. johannesspringer

@williamansley - thank you very much for showing me possible solutions. I will go the next time with a copy of the form and corrected links, its much easier so as we have only 1 place linked with the form. For know i must prefer to delete the entries in the DB as we have already new regular entries.

@AMurray, thanks, I understand now.

Last question: is it safe to simple delete the unwanted entries in the MySQL-DB in the table ap_form_[our form-ID] ? Thats where I`d found our old and the few new entries (and yes, sure i´ll make a backup before)

Thank you booth very much!

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. johannesspringer

Update: did tried it myself and deleted the entries in ap_form_[our form-ID], and changed the ID from the few remaning entries afterwards manually, it seems to work, all ok in Machform.

Problem solved, thank you guys for your help!

kindest regards,
    Johannes

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic