This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 3

How to send email based on drop-down menu selections

1. Gutsy

I'm creating a new form for a client with a dozen different depatments. The form needs to be submitted to a specific department staff member based on the department selected in the drop-down menu. Are there instrucitons available to explain how this is done?

Thank you.

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. AMurray
    Pro Member

Instead of just using the standard notification options, you can set up the Conditional Logic, to send the email to specific email addresses, based on the option/value in the field that triggers the conditional logic rule.

http://www.appnitro.com/blog-conditional-logic-for-notification-emails. That feature has been around since Version 3.5

For example your drop-down list field such as "Contact Person" would either list the peoples names e.g.

Joe Bloggs
    Bill Bloggs
    John Smith

The rules would be like

If "Contact Person" = 'John Smith' then Email = john.smith@yoursite.com

Or if they are more generic, say position description such as

Receptionist
    Tech Support
    General Manager
    Sales
    Support
    Service

The rule would be set the same way

If "Contact Person" = Receptionist then Email = Reception@yoursite.com

.....and so on

If you want to be more specific, just specify the actual person's email address like so:

if Contact Person = Receptionist Then Email = Daisy.Bell@yoursite.com

I think you can send to multiple emails if required, say to everyone in a car yard, Parts Division, with a comma e.g. Daisy.Bell@yoursite.com, Julia.Stiles@yoursite.com although I'm not sure about using BCC (Blind copy circulated)

I believe this is what you were asking for ? :-)

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. bjc

Conditional logic for simple sending of email works well. I have a bit more than a basic need I believe.

I have a form where the user has two drop downs that equate to office locations, origin location and destination location. There are 12 locations in total so 12 options in each of the drop downs. Based upon the user selections in the drop downs, I would like to be able to send an email message to each of the locations selected based upon the user selection.

With 2 drop downs and 12 options this means I have to code 144 conditional rules to achieve this using the conditional notification system.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic