This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 2

ip address graber

1. Lunbag

i want to be able to get the ip address fromt the person filling in the form without them knowing this and get it emailed to me because im getting the same applications filled in and i need to see if its coming form the same pc. can someone help me?
    Thanks

Posted 14 years ago #
  2. yuniar

Hi there,

Actually, MachForm already record the IP address, but it doesn't displayed within the email.

If you need to be displayed within the email, simply edit the email content template and insert this code:

{ip_address}

that would the ip address into your email.

MachForm Founder

Posted 14 years ago #
  3. AMurray
    Pro Member

If you need to prevent multiple entries from the same "person" you can use the "Limit One Entry per User" option, which can be switched on in the Form properties. This may not work since several people might use the one PC therefore the same IP.

It works by comparing the user's IP address with entries already submitted to check if the IP already exists.

As per reply above, you can add the field {ip_address} to the mail sent to "You" in the email options, but exclude it from the user's email (the auto-reply containing the details of the submission).

If Machform had the ability to allow users to register and log on, and then submit the form, that would provide a more unique way of identifying multiple entries by one person.

A multi-user feature is coming in future release of this product I believe.

Posted 14 years ago #
  4. hamlingordon

i'm using version 4.1 i'm not seeing limit one entry per user settings here is that?

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. williamansley

@hamlingordon: When you are in the form editor, click on the "Form Properties" tab to the right panel, and them on the "show more options" link. Scroll down, if necessary, until you see the section with the heading "Protection & Limit", then look for the "Limit One Entry Per IP" check box.

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. jamesbarber

In 4.1 Go to "Manage Forms" open form then click "Form Properties" tab. Click on the line in the bottom right that says "show more options"
    Check "Limit One Entry Per IP"

I do not know if this an effective way for me to block duplications. I am signing folks up for an event and some maybe blocked because they share the same computer as a family or in librarys, schools, etc

The other question I have about it is is how many folks have static IPs . We have a problem in that the event is almost a year away and some will want to edit their submission. Trying to find a way that allows both submissions to be edited at a later date AND limit duplications may be a bridge too far . . ..

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. hamlingordon

@jamesbarber i'm saying the same thing restricting submission per IP is a not a very good solution, my office has 9 offices with 15 computers behind i router IP address you see where i'm going with this. in the next version i would love to see an additional option or logic, i think a logic option would work much better to setup submission restrictions with more flexability

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic