This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 4

Problem with "Choice Limit" feature

1. williamansley

There is a problem with the "Choice Limit" feature for multiple choice and drop down menu fields. I won't go so far as to say it is a bug, but it results in a very user unfriendly form. This problem is that, if you make the "choice limited" field required, which you have to if the form is actually going to limit the choices, then, once all of the choices have been used up, the form cannot be submitted. This results in a very frustrating experience for the person trying to submit the form: They are told "This field is required. Please enter a value.", but there is nothing for them to choose!

It would be much better if the form is disabled at this point, with a custom disabled message (which is an existing feature), since there is no point in allowing users to see the form at all if every possible choices is already taken.

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. bbuddb

Good find!

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. williamansley

Yuniar, I think this is a serious enough issue that it merits a response from Appnitro. Please let us know if you plan to correct this or, if you do not regard it as a serious problem, then please explain why not. Thank you.

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. yuniar

Thank you. We've noted this into our bug report database. I'm not sure if we're going to disable the entire form or simply display better error message. We'll think about this.

MachForm Founder

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. williamansley

Yuniar, I can't think of any reason why the "form owner" would want to keep the form available when all the available slots had been used up. And, as a "form user", I would much rather see a disabled form that be given the false hope of seeing a usable form that seems to imply that I will be able to register for my event, or whatever, and then have my hopes dashed when the form is submitted. Plus, if the form is disabled, it allows the workaround of putting a link to a second form into the disabled message. to allow the disappointed user to sign up for a waiting list, at least (since you currently don't have any options for chaining forms more directly, which would be very useful, by the way.)

Well, by now I know that you will do what you want to do, but please take the factors I have mentioned into account when you make your final decision.

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. yuniar

Well, there are many possibilities for the usage of "choice limit" feature.

Let say you have a registration form and would like to give away 15 t-shirts (having different colors or sizes) for the first 15 person who signed up. You can add a "non-required" multiple choice field and put the available colors as the option.

This way, people can register and choose their preferred color for the t-shirt.
    Once the registrant reached 15 persons, the field will be disabled and people can keep continue registering without having to choose for the t-shirt.

Another scenario would be form for selling multiple limited items. Using several multiple choice field are valid for this as well.

Your scenario is valid too. I'm just saying that there are many people with different needs and we'll need to find the most flexible way.

MachForm Founder

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. williamansley

Yuniar, OK, I see I was being too restrictive in my use scenario for the form. I would still like to have the ability to disable the form in the case of my scenario available as an option. Thank you.

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. williamansley

I just realized that there is another useful option that I would like Yuniar and the Appnitro staff to consider: If a multiple choice item has no visible choices left, due to the choice limit feature, hide the entire field rather than leaving the "top part" of the field visible without any items below it to choose from. This would solve the following problem: A form cannot be submitted because a required multiple choice field cannot be selected since all of the items to choose from are hidden due the choice limit feature.

The form might not make much sense without the field present, so I would like the additional option of being able to assign a message to this field that would be displayed when the field itself is hidden because all of the choices have been used up. I believe this is a good solution to the problem I have pointed out and I would really like to see this suggestion implemented.

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. williamansley

Now when a multiple choice item has the choice limit feature enabled and all of the choices are used up, the message "-- No more choices left --" appears beneath the "Field Label" (top) part, rather than nothing. This is an improvement. However, I still cannot use this option to create a form with the functionality I need. I want to have a form that allow people to sign up for workshops with a limited number of seats. I want to make the multiple choice field required because I don't want someone to fill out the form with their contact information and forget to choose a workshop. But, if I make a multiple choice field with choice limit enabled into a required field, it will be impossible to submit the form once all of the choices are used up.

I don't think it should be possible to create a form that can't be submitted! I think it wold be better if the choice-limited multiple choice field became entirely hidden when all of the choices are used up, with the required property then being ignored, just as with fields hidden by logic. Ideally, I would like to see several options made available for choice-limited multiple choice fields with all choices used up, including what I have described in my previous messages in this thread.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic