This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 2

Problem with pasting text from PDF into input fields

1. michelleoreilly

Hello,

I am having problems where text that is being copied from PDF and pasted into an input field is being cut off after about 187 characters. (I have amended the inlcudes/view-functions.php file to increase character limit for input fields and that is working fine when plain text is copied or text copied from Word).

What could this be?

How can I fix it?

Would appreciate any help or light you could shed on this issue :)

Posted 13 years ago #
  2. michelleoreilly

I have done more testing. It seems that if pasted directly from native Adobe Reader the input field accepts it.

However if it is copied from the Apple Preview application, it cuts the text off.

Very odd. Will also text on Windows.

Posted 13 years ago #
  3. michelleoreilly

I have now also tested on Windows with the same result. Copied text from Adobe PDF file and text was cut off.

Posted 13 years ago #
  4. michelleoreilly

To be more specific, I copied text from a PDF opened in Adobe Reader on a Windows XP and the text was still cut off.

Posted 13 years ago #
  5. yuniar

which input field you are referring to? single line text or paragraph field?
    also, are you copying into the form edit page or the live form?

MachForm Founder

Posted 13 years ago #
  6. freeze2

@michelleoreilly

From past experience, I would highly recommend not copying and pasting from pdf files as you will run into all kinds of formatting issues. Copy the data into notepad, fix all formatting and then copy and paste into your form or CMS.

Posted 13 years ago #
  7. michelleoreilly

hi freeze2,

Thanks for your response. Totally agree about not doing it, but unfortunatlely I cannot force users of the form (other than in the instructions field) to not paste from PDF.

In 10 years of development work, I have never seen this before with input fields cutting data short.

Any response from the official Appnitro folks???

Posted 13 years ago #
  8. yuniar

michelle,

Is it possible for you to send us the pdf file? we'll check it.
    It would be great if we could have temporary access to your machform admin panel as well.

please send it to email: customer.service [at] appnitro.com

MachForm Founder

Posted 13 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic