This forum is no longer open and is for reading/searching only.

Please use our new MachForm Community Forum instead.

MachForm Community Forums » MachForm 4

email notifications not working with certain mail clients

1. sgtsob

Hi,

My email notifications seem to work with gmail......... but other email clients (GoDaddy webmail, Outlook) are not receiving email notifications. Any help would be appreciated, below is a snippet from the mail log file.

status=bounced <serverpilot@creativesob> From: Domain is invalid. Please provide a valid From: IB506

Thanks!

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. sgtsob

Here's the response from my host

-------------------------------

It looks like your PHP scripts need to set a "From" address when they send mail. Here's an example of how to do this in PHP:

<?php
    $to = 'nobody@example.com';
    $subject = 'the subject';
    $message = 'hello';
    $headers = 'From: webmaster@example.com';

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
    ?>
    Many applications have a configuration option where you can set the From address. You might check the documentation for your app.

If you prefer to set a default domain name used for emails sent by any app on your server, you can run the following commands as "root" or "ubuntu" (be sure to replace "example.com" with your own domain name):

sudo postconf -e 'myhostname = example.com'
    sudo service postfix restart
    I hope that helps.

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Steve1951

In the example you have provided, the top level domain portion of the domain name is missing. It should be "serverpilot@creativesob.com" or "serverpilot@creativesob.net" instead of "serverpilot@creativesob".

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. sgtsob

That makes sense I just don't know where or how to change it. Serverpilot uses postfix to deliver email and in machform the from notification is set to: //no-reply@creativesob.com

Thanks for the help!

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Steve1951

Hopefully it is "no-reply@creativesob.com" and not "//no-reply@creativesob.com". An email address should not contain slashes.

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. sgtsob

Sorry bout that.... it is "no-reply@creativesob.com"

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Steve1951

It would help if we knew the version of MachForm you are using. I am currently using version 4.1.

There are several places you can set the "From:" email address. To set the default From: address go to the MachForm admin page then click on

Settings - A System Settings page should be displayed.

Under Miscellaneous Settings click on Advanced Options.

Under Advanced Options you will see a field called Default Email From Address. Check to see if that is correct. The value in Default Email From Address must be a valid email address or a valid forwarder.

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. Steve1951

If you want to override the default From: email address you can do that also.

Select the specific form you want to modify. Click on notifications. You may modify the From: email address for notifications sent to you or notifications sent to the end user. Click on more options for either or both Send Notification Emails to My Inbox and/or Send Confirmation Email to User. You will see a box labeled "From Email". Again, the From: email address must be a valid address.

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. sgtsob

Hey Steve, I am currently using version 4.2. In the over-all advanced options it's the same as all the individual forms "no-reply@creativesob.com". Each form I've created is for a different domain and like I said before the forms seem to work with gmail since I'm receiving the confirmation there. It's just that my clients aren't receiving the email to their email accounts. Also, I do not have any email accounts set up with my host so I just left the default value machform provided "no-reply@creativesob.com".

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. Steve1951

As stated above, if "no-reply@creativesob.com" is not a valid email or valid email forwarder, then the email may not be sent. All of the systems that I have used require a valid email address in the From: field.

Posted 9 years ago #
  11. sgtsob

Some additional info......

The domain where machforms was installed has one email address that is managed by Google apps. I never enabled the MX records for it at Digital Ocean so I did that last night hoping it would resolve my problem but it's still a no go. So I started digging through the Google apps admin area and found a setting to authenticate email. Below are my settings...

--------------------------------

The domains you select will use the DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) protocol for authenticating outgoing emails.
    If you route mail through an outbound gateway that modifies messages, such as a Postini server that adds compliance footers, DKIM authentication or the message modification will fail.

creativesob.com Status:Not authenticating email

You must update the DNS records for this domain.
    To start authenticating email for the domain selected above, enter the following DNS TXT record into your domain provider's DNS settings page. Then click "Start authentication."

Posted 9 years ago #
  12. sgtsob

I added a DNS record so my email now shows that it is authenticating and I changed both the system settings and form settings in machform to my email account with no luck. Now I'm really stumped....

Thanks again for the help

Posted 9 years ago #
  13. sgtsob

Hey Steve, thanks again for all the help. I finally got it working using the directions from my host.

If you prefer to set a default domain name used for emails sent by any app on your server, you can run the following commands as "root" or "ubuntu" (be sure to replace "example.com" with your own domain name):

sudo postconf -e 'myhostname = example.com'
    sudo service postfix restart

Posted 9 years ago #
  14. fiveoclockclub

I thought this update fixed this issue, because I think I'm having the same issues. Help

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic